About four years later, glancing through my sketch book in an attempt to find a blank page, I ran across my first version of this drawing. I traced off the drawing so I could have something to work on without actually revising my original, and also to be free of the confines of that dratted sketch book. At that point I decided to rework parts of the sketch and revise the concept somewhat.
When I liked the outline I had, I added colors. I used Derwent's Inktense and colored pencils from one or two other product lines from the same company. Again, I failed to keep a record of which colors from which lines were used. I avoided using water in the colored pencil area, even though the brands used are water-soluable. I wanted the texture of the pencils strokes to show. On the original, they do show, quite nicely.
For the background, I used a mixture of watercolor paints that appears to be black, but is not a true black. It is mainly a mix of red, yellow and cobalt blue, but I also added some Indigo to further darken the paints. I then applied the mixture thickly, without much water, as this paper would not stand up to a very wet paint mixture. Completed about mid-September, 2013, this project is intended to be framed, and could be hung in any desired orientation because I deliberately left off the shadows.