Two weeks - more or less - is what I've spent on this beast. To be fair, it wasn't two weeks straight though. I took a lot of breaks after doing very little, and spent a lot of time just that last night on it. I finished it May 18, 2008. The shadow - leaves a lot to be desired... and that's the best I can say for that part of the drawing. As for the rest, I'm satisfied that at my present knowledge and skill level (talent not included) I've done the best I could.
I used Derwent Inktense (water soluable) colored pencils on 140 pound cold pressed watercolor paper. And yep, I did use the water, although that's not strictly obligatory. The original is 9.5 inches high by 13 inches wide.
When my mother asked what I was doing, I mentioned drawing... and she said she wanted something I drew... so the original sketch is hers. But I decided long before I started, that I'd keep copies of all that I do.